Kalinga Utsav is a celebration of the vibrant tribal & folk culture of the state, aiming to enlighten viewers & participants of its grandeur & beauty. Through the thoughtfully curated cultural performances & exhibitions, the festival would serve as a pleasant reminder of the diverse ways in which tribal traditions are infused into many aspects of Indian culture. Showcasing some of the best artistic talents from all districts of Odisha, Kalinga Utsav would shed much-deserved light on the state's spectacular folk songs & tribal dance forms.
This collective celebration encompassing people from all corners of Odisha will revitalise the immensity of tribal & folk heritage and how this ancient culture has contributed to Indian history & its many traditions. The festival seeks to capture the imagination of the old as well as the young. Its intriguing dance & music performances, fascinating quiz programs & enriching discussions will offer a slice of marvel for everyone in attendance.
Odisha is unique among the Indian States and Union Territories for having a rich and colourful tribal scenario. The majority of Scheduled Tribes live in hilly and forest regions. Their economy is primarily subsistence-oriented, non-stratified and non-specialized. 62 Scheduled Tribes in Odisha speak as many as 74 dialects. Their ethos, ideology, worldview, value orientations and cultural heritage are rich and varied. At one end of the spectrum, there are nomadic food gatherers & agriculturalists, and on the other end, highly specialised artisans, craftsmen & even storytellers. The tribal areas of Odisha, therefore, present a highly diverse socio-economic panorama.
Through centuries of ever-changing empires, from the reign of Kharvela to the times of Ashoka and the dark shadows of colonial rule, Odisha’s culture has been an evolution of the collective experience of all its peoples. The tribal communities of Odisha have primarily informed the culture of the state. From its subtle & delicious cuisine, rich languages & oral traditions, as well as varied arts, the cultural expressions of the state are diverse, finding an echo in the lives of all its inhabitants.
- To revive the indigenous culture as original and unique.
- To bring as many ethnic communities on one common platform and disseminate tribal & folk knowledge among the urban educated people so as to inculcate respect and admiration in them for the tribals.
- To assist them in showcasing their forms as grand and spectacular and as distinctly different from modern culture.
- To locate and bring all tribal communities of India on a common platform
- To establish unity among diverse tribes and cultural groups.
- To identify the tribe leaders & tribal cultural reformers and recognise them on a national platform.